Onitsha: A Selection of Relevant Publications
· Agbu, C.E. Onitsha-Obosi Land Disputes: The Truths. Onitsha: Etukokwu Press, 1993.
· Agunyego Okey. Ancestral Voices: Onitsha Names and Phrases Worked Out. Lagos: Vinkays Enterprises, 1999.
· Akosa Chike. Heroes and Heroines of Onitsha. Onitsha: Etukokwu Press, 1987.
· Azikiwe Benjamin. Fragment of Onitsha History, “The Journal of Negro History 15, 1930: 47497.
· Azikiwe Nnamdi. Let us Forgive Our Children: An Appeal to the Leaders and People of Onitsha to Forgive and Forget the wrongs committed during the Market Crisis. Nsukka: Zik Enterprises Ltd, 1976.
· .......The Onitsha Market Crisis: An Example of Monocracy. Nsukka: Zik Enterprises Ltd, 1976.
· .......My Odyssey: An Autobiography. London: C Hurst, 1970.
· Basden George T. Niger Ibos. London: Seeley Service, 1938.
· Bosah, S.I. Groundwork of the History and Culture of Onitsha. Apapa, Nigeria: Times Press Ltd, 1979.
· Chukwudebe Ben. Onitsha Quo Vadis. Owerri: Peace Enterprises, 1986.
· Crowther, Samuel Adjai and John C. Taylor. The Gospel on the Banks of the Niger: Journals and Notices of the Native Missionaries Accompanying the Niger Expedition of 1857-1859. London: Church Missionary House, 1859; reprinted London: Dawsons of Pall Mall. 1968.
· Dike, Kenneth Onwuka. The Origins of the Niger Mission: 1814-1891. Ibadan: Ibadan University Press, 1957.
· Egbuna, Ngozi. A Peep into An African Kitchen: Perspectives of Onitsha. Nigeria: Delta Publications (Nig.) Limited, 2005.
· Egbuniwe, Patrick O. Eke na Ubene: The Big Tree (Historical Facts). Lagos: Jonap Press, 1994.
· Ejikeme, Anene. “From Traders to Teachers: A History of Elite Women in Onitsha. Nigeria, 1928-1940.” Journal of Asian and African Studies. June 2011.
· ....... “Subterfuge and Resistance: A History of Infanticide in Onitsha Nigeria.” In Power and Nationalism in Modern Africa Essays in Honor of Don Ohadike Ed. Toyin Falola and Salah M. Hassan. Durham. NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2008.
· ....... “Mission and Motherhood: Towards a History of Catholic Women and Education in Onitsha Nigeria 1885-1964” Ph.D. diss. Columbia University, 2003.
· Ekwerekwu, Eke Prince P.O. Know Onitsha Families. 3rd edition, Lagos: Amakohson Printing Creation, 1989.
· ....... Facts About Okposieke and Other Families of Ogbolieke Onitsha. 2nd edition, Onitsha 1982.
· Eluwa B.O.N. Ado-Na-Idu: History of Igbo Origin. Owerri: De-Bonelsons Global Company Limited, 2008.
· Etukokwu, Chief Joseph Ubanyionwu. Life Between Two Shrines: An Autobiography. Onitsha: Etukokwu Publisher Limited, 1997.
· Harding, Richard W. Report of Commission of Inquiry into the Dispute Over the Obiship of Onitsha 1961-63, Official Document of Eastern Nigeria. No. 6 Enugu, Nigeria: Government Printer, 1963.
· Henderson, Helen Kreider. “Ritual Roles of Women in Onitsha Ibo Society”. PhD. Diss., University of California, Berkeley, 1969.
· Henderson Richard N. The King in Every Man: Evolutionary Trends in Onitsha Ibo Society and Culture. New Haven: Yale University Press. 1972.
· Ibeziako, M.O. Some Aspect of Ancient Onitsha Civilisation. Onitsha: 1937.
· Ifeka, Sam. Onicha Kingship Institution. Onitsha: Herald Books Ltd. 1973.
· Johnson, Archdeacon Henry. A Journey up the Niger in 1877. London: Church Missionary House. 1878.
· Killam, G.D. “John Moray Smart-Young: The Iniquitous Coaster of Onitsha (Nigeria).” Black Academy Review 23, 1971:2241.
· Le Clezio, J.M.G. Onitsha. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1997.
· Mbajekwe, Patrick. “Landlords of Onitsha: Urban Land, Accumulation and Debates Over Custom in Colonial Eastern Nigeria ca 1880-1945.” International Journal of African Historical Studies 39, 3, 2006: 415-420.
· ....... “Land, Social Change, and Urban Development in Onitsha, Eastern Nigeria 1857-1960”. PhD diss., Emory University, 2003.
· ....... “Debating Land Policy in Colonial Nigeria.” In Nigeria in the Twentieth Century. Ed Toyin Falola. Durham NC. Carolina Academic Press 2002. 263 - 79.
· .......Trade and Development in Onitsha: 1857 - 1960, MA Thesis, University of Lagos, 1991.
· Mbanefo, Isaac Anieke. Isaac Anieke Mbanefo: A Friend of the Gods; An Autobiography. Onitsha, Nigeria: Etukokwu Publishers Ltd. 1990.
· Mbanefo, Frank. “The Iba House in Onitsha.” Nigeria 72: 18-25. 1962.
· Melie, Edith E. The Ozo Title of Onitsha: A Study of its Dress and Insignia. University of Wisconsin-Madison. 1977.
· Ntephe, Herbert Nnaemeka. Onitsha Christians and Ozo Title-Taking. Onitsha: Haba House Enterprises, 1998.
· Nweje, Ngozi. “Traditions of Origin, Migration, and Settlement in Onitsha”. BA Thesis, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 1974.
· Nwosu, Vincent A. The Laity and the Growth of the Catholic Church in Nigeria: The Onitsha Story 1903-1983. Onitsha: Africana –FEP. 1990.
· .......The Catholic Church in Onitsha People, Places and Events, 1885-1985. Onitsha: Etukokwu Press 1985.
· Nzekwu, Onuora. The Fate of our Fathers. Lagos: Okwudilinwa Series, 2002.
· .......The Chima Dynasty in Onitsha. Lagos: John Peterson Enterprises, 1997.
· Nzimiro, Ikenna. Studies in Ibo Political System: Chieftaincy and Politics in four Niger States. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1972.
· Obanye, B.C.I. A Concise History of the Mgbelekeke Family of Onitsha, 2nd Edition. Onitsha: Green-Land Press, 1970.
· Obi, Celestine A. “The Royal Niger Company and the Holy Ghost Mission at Onitsha 1885-1900. In the Catholic Church in Onitsha: Places, People and Events, 1885-1985 Ed V.A Nwosu. Onitsha: Etukokwu Press 1985, 9-10.
· Obiechina, Emmanuel N. An African Popular Literature: A Study of Onitsha Market Pamphlets. London: Syndics of Cambridge University Press, (1971), 1973.
· .......Onitsha Market Literature. Africana Pub. Corp., 1972.
· Ogali, Ogali A. “Long Long Ago” in Veronica My Daughter and other Onitsha Place and Stories. Ed. Reinhard W. Sander and Peter K. Ayers. Washington, DC.: Three Continents., 1980.
· Okeke, Okechukwu O. A Political and Administrative History of Onitsha, 1917-1970. Trenton, N.J: Africa World Press, 2010.
· Okolo, P.H. Onitsha Ebo-Irenani. Onitsha: Enenia Press, 1947.
· Onono, Tom O. An attempt at the History of Idoko-Use (Obikporo Village), Onitsha. Onitsha: nd.
· Onyejekwe, Chineze J. Onitsha Ado N’Idu on my Mind. Xlibris, 2011.
· Onyekpu, Rom. Onitsha Market Fire Disasters. African Dawn, 1987.
· Onyemelukwe, J.O.C. “Some Factors in the Growth of West African Market Town: The Example of Pre-Civil War Onitsha,” Urban Studies 11, 1974: 47-59.
· Orakwue, Jerry I. Onitsha Custom of Title-Taking. Onitsha: Etukokwu Publishers, 1989.
· .......Onitsha Custom of Title-Taking. Onitsha: Renascent Africa Press, Ltd., 1953.